Long and thin, containing too much water, without any flavour and green- these are some of the celery’s characteristic.
Celery is a cultivated plant used as a cooked vegetable or salad. Although eating it has many advantages we manage to consume it only with dip or when it is cooked.
When you are eating celery, you burn more calories than you consume. Even so, celery is not on our list of favourite food.
It is worth to mention that celery reduces cholesterol and arthritis pain naturally, helps to lose weight, cares for the body, and lowers blood pressure.
Although some of us are aware of these health benefits of celery, we cannot make ourselves to have it on our everyday menu. Perhaps, some of the following information will motivate you to put it to your diet.
What is celery?
This green vegetable belongs to the Apiaceae plant family, and it is an essential part of particular cuisines. It originates from the Mediterranean and North Africa, but now it can be found all over the world.
In almost every kitchen, there is a dish in which celery is one of the ingredients; for instance, it is present in American, Japanese, Australian, Indian cuisine and more.
Furthermore, this green vegetable has been mentioned many times in ancient Mediterranean documents, including King Tut’s tomb.
Why is celery good for me?
There are plenty of vitamins in this green vegetable which is essential for the body, such as vitamin A, B, C, K, also, calcium, magnesium, and potassium. Besides these, the phytonutrients in it are essential; they are plant chemicals, and their influence on our body is very significant.
Phytonutrients can also provide significant benefits for people who eat plant foods. Although celery’s texture is in a way hard to get used to it, it does wonders for your immune system and intracellular communication. Moreover, phytonutrients detoxify the DNA and fight against heart diseases and cancer.
What can celery do in a week?
- All of the previously mentioned results are due to consuming celery for a more extended period. However, we should also state the health benefits of celery when you are consuming it for a shorter period. In the list below, you can see what benefits people had after having a portion of celery per day:
- Losing weight: Celery is a good source of fibres and has negative calories. You are losing calories while you are consuming it.
- You become more hydrated: Celery consists of water, precisely 95% of it is water. Thus, dehydration will be prevented
- Reduces inflammation: The antioxidants which celery contains are known to have anti-inflammatory effects. Thus, celery helps in treating cancer, cardiovascular diseases or some chronic inflammations.
- Natural remedy for acid reflux and heartburn: Although its efficacy is not proven, celery is considered as a cure for acid reflux and heartburn because of its low level of acidity. Many people agree that after consuming celery, they get better results regarding anti-inflammatory properties.
- Lowers cholesterol: Many studies have shown that celery lowers cholesterol by 7%.
- Reduces blood pressure: Many studies have shown that celery reduces blood pressure by 18%.
- Better digestion: Because it is rich in fibre, celery is right for your bowel movements.
- Helps for healthy eye-sight: Eat more celery, and you will never experience dry eyes, and your eye health would never be at risk.
- Mosquito resistant: Many studies show that the oil extract from the celery is mosquito-proof; thus, have this oil with you during the summer, and you will be itch-free.
Maybe celery is not one of the tastiest foods in the world but as you can see the health benefits of it are many. I know potato chips are delicious but attempt to eat celery for one week and see if you are feeling much better or not.
Please SHARE this article on Facebook!